Friday, May 06, 2005

Metallica, Don't Read This

The issue of the legality of downloading music has been in question for a few years ever since Metallica sued Napster. This was when I really hadn't done much downloading. It was about the time when I realized that I didn't have the $14 to buy a CD that I became good friends with my computer and when I got my cable modem installed- I was in heaven. And so for a few months I was in music bliss; until the govenment stepped in and now is prosecuting people for downloading illegally. I think the government has better things to worry about: who's paying their taxes, the war in Iraq, the economy, but that's just me.

In a previous article (I don't know why people haven't commented), I mentioned all the safeguards put on CDs now to protect the content. I wouldn't be surprised if tapes came back. Overall, they have shittier quality than CDs, but no safeguards and and as a bonus, they are much more affordable. The industry needs to change. If I went out to Sams Club and bought a pack of 100 blank discs it costs me approx. $10, slightly more if I go for cases. Add on a little ($1 for record company, $1 for packaging, $1.50 for band) and you have a CD that costs roughly $4.50-$5.00. I would pay $5 for a CD, but $14 is rediculous, and anything higher is rape.

Let's take a minute and weigh the pros and the cons of buying CDs and downloading music for free for consumers and the bands.
Consumers:
CD purchase Pros: 1) get the actual studio quality of the CD; 2) you get the artwork {some albums actually have it}; 3) you get the lyrics; **4) you support the band**
Downloading Cons: 1) you need to wait at least 1-2 months before a good version of the song is up for downloading; 2) you don't get the artwork and the other stuff; 3) you might miss out on a bonus DVD and internet stuff
Bands
CD purchase Pros: 1) they make money / download pros: 1) if you are an upcoming band, you can spread the word and get out there {ex: I saw the local band Echo Screen at Starland Ballroom and they gave out demos for free. They also put themselves on purevolume, and now have an EP out on a record label and played The Bamboozle and upcoming Warped Tour (NJ only).}
Download Cons: 1) bands lose money

Only you, the viewer, can decide if you want to download music for free or buy the album. As for me, when tapes make a comeback, don't say I didn't tell you first.

ONE UNIVERSE UNDER ROCK MY PEOPLE

4 Comments:

Blogger beakerkin said...

Piracy of trademarks is a big business . The subject of piracy
includes DVD and even fashion items
such as knock off products.

Since piracy and downloading are inevitable the bands should find new ways to get revenue. Music videos did not exsist as a revenue stream. Bands should tour and corporate sponsors add to the revenue stream .

The entertainment industry has complicated economicss.Do not even
try to discuss this with an accountant.

5/07/2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger Warren said...

Copy protection in all its forms is just a stop gap solution.

If you can copy protect it then there is a way to remove the protection.

Copy protection interferes with my rights to do what I want with the music after I buy it. I don't mean copy it and give it away or trade copies, I mean to make compilations or archival copies. Nor do I feel I should have to buy extra copies for different playing formats after I have purchased a CD.

To me it is an ethical issue. I won't download pirated music, there is a matter of intellectual property that I have had to deal with in the past for work I have done.

5/07/2005 9:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

warren i agree with you 100% about how it infringes upon rights.

5/08/2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i agree. there are plenty of non-mainstream bands that really deserve some profit and getting shafted in place of other bands.

5/08/2005 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares