Monday, December 05, 2005

We Need A Revival

For those of you readers who don't know much about Jazz, thats OK, because I don't know much either. What I do know is that there has been a trend for the worse. I found out I am an old school cat when it comes to Jazz. I really enjoy the uptempo tunes with faster rhythms. I've been listening to John Coltrane recently, and the man is a genius, as is his band. Everyone playing an instrument is talented and they fuse to form an excellent sound. There are others that I have heard, but none I like as much.

Smooth Jazz is something that isn't bad, although most of it sounds alike. There are good artists in the lot of them. However, the percussion is not the same as in the 60s. If you listen to Coltrane and then Jazzmasters, you will not find the same craftsmanship. Most Smooth Jazz has electronic drums, which gives it a different feel than the Old School. Newer music also shows an increase in guitar, acoustic with nylon strings (most likely a classical acoustic). This is not necessarily a bad thing. One of my favorite Smooth Jazz pieces, with some elements of rock, was done by John Petrucci (Dream Theater guitar virtuoso) and Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater master pianist).

I would like to see more artists in the Jazz world go and bring back the classic stylings of Coltrane instead of continuing this trend.

"DO THAT THING I LIKE!!" - Tony Reali (PTI)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not surprising to me that you have an interest in jazz. Maybe inevitable.You clearly have a knowledge of music that surpasses most. Even Stevie Ray was taking jazz lessons before he died. And our own home grown/blind guitar talent jeff healy has a massive jazz collection and now plays only that, on trumpet!
I dont know if you know healy but he was the guy in roadhouse [I know, stupid movie] but he played the guitar on his lap as good and better than most. He now has a club in toronto called "healy's"
[elijah}

12/15/2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

elijah:

good to have you back. i guess it doesn't surprise me either. my dad was a big smooth jazz person, so i heard it, but it doesn't sound as good as the old school.

i will say that when i practice playing guitar, i play a lot of blues- the techinque is great.

sorry to say that i don't know any jeff healy. any recommendations of his?

12/15/2005 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not jazz..he was simply a phenomenal rock player across his lap..nothing that made it to the airwaves, but a great player if you know the guitar..what surprised me was his love of jazz and his huge collection..he had a couple of local rock hits but his final love was jazz.

12/15/2005 8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i just wanted to know of some good songs of his. i've never heard his stuff.

12/16/2005 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly his songs probably got mostly canadian airplay,[the rock stuff] a fate of so many canadian artists. The names of his songs escape me,which speaks volumes to the songwriting mediocrity. granted we are going back to the eighties and early nineties, so you can forgive my memory loss.
My point was simply his virtuosity as a blind player.

12/23/2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very true. anyone who is blind that can play an instrument well, especially a guitar or piano, deserves some applause.

12/24/2005 11:28 AM  
Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

Jeff Healy is a bad motherfucker. He was the house band guitarist in the movie Road House.

2/02/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

maybe i should go check this movie out.

2/02/2006 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares