Saturday, July 08, 2006

Works In Progress

Now that school is over, I have had some free time on my hands, some of which has been devoted to songwriting. I will try and tell you the experience of writing for all the instruments solo [this is the first time I have ever really done so; all others have been with at least one other person].

Being a drummer and guitarist, I tend to start a piece with the guitars because melody is much harder to compile than rhythm. I have had a lot of success with this so far to an extent. I have been in a musical phase- I like the acoustic songs right now and the two tracks I have been writing, while they are currently on an electrical guitar clean tone, would probably sound better as acoustic tracks. The problem is for each song I have parts on the guitar, only parts. They are good, but everything I have tried so far after to complete these tracks have been lackluster and too cliche. I also try to write music for two guitars- for one of these songs I have done so, and the other is fine without it [tip: harmony can always be added as needed].

I haven't tried the percussion on any so far, but I have ideas, one of which I will probably use when recording time comes. Bass, since I can't play well, will probably follow the guitar's root note, something I would like to avoid, but only time will tell if I can do what I hear in my head. Lyrics are impossible. You never really realize how good a well written song is until you actually try to write one yourself. This is the last thing I worry about.

If I ever finish these tracks, I will try and post them up on here.

ROCK ON!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares