Tuesday, August 08, 2006

You Never Know What You'll Find On Late Shows

A week or so ago I put on the Late Show with David Letterman just in time to see the musical guest. From the second I was watching I was hooked. It was nothing like I had ever seen in a rock band. There were about 15-20 people on stage. There were multiple guitars, multiple drums [one kit and a few toms], I think more than one bass, many singers, and the Letterman bandleader, Paul Schaffer, was playing the keyboards as a special guests.

The band is Broken Social Scene, a Canadian indie group featuring 10 members from various other indie bands from Canada and who tour and record with a ton of guests. I think I read somewhere that BSS tours with an average of 15 people, something that goes against the standard. The group played the song "Fire Eye'd Boy" [this performance is on youtube- link provided so you can see huge group]. The song is damn good, and they have some other good songs like "7/4 (Shoreline)" which is on the self-titled new album from 2005.

Upon further research of Broken Social Scene, I found out that they have been serious contenders in the Juno Awards in 2003, 2004, and 2006, where the band won 'Alternative Album Of The Year' in 2003 for the album You Forgot It In People and in 2006 for Broken Social Scene. They were nominated in 2004 for 'Video Of The Year' and in 2006 for 'CD/DVD Artwork Design Of The Year'.

I have to say, it was nice finding some talent on late night talk shows that aren't already famous [not to say that I hate that; I watched Alkaline Trio on Conan O'Brien and 30 Seconds To Mars on Carson Daly]. If you are ever up and there's nothing on, check out the music on the late shows, you never know what you might get.

ROCK ON!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares