Sunday, February 12, 2006

Neo-Classical Speed Metal

I received a ton of iTunes money for my birthday a few weeks ago and have been browsing their database for some music to buy. I came across a band that I've seen about 6 months ago. I decided to buy one of their albums.

Dragonforce is a British neo-classical speed metal band. I don't know how they were able to record these 8 tracks off Sonic Firestorm. The tempo is insane- I have never heard double bass played like this-- ever. As a fan of some prog metal and 80s metal, I think these guys were definately worth the $7.92. If you are a fan of fast paced, guitar soloing and drum bashing then check out Dragonforce.

People with iTunes have an advantage of previewing, but I think J&R's website has previews as well as Circuit City's website.

SNOW DAY TOMORROW!! OVER 18"!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren said...

I've been looking through "Live Music Archive".

Some interesting stuff and some really poor stuff. Take a look sometime.

2/12/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

any recommendations?

2/13/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Warren said...

DM,
I've just started digging.

Due to the format, you have to download at least one complete number, (no samples) and the number of recorded concerts is astronomical.

Many of the groups have their own websites so I have been trying to see if there might be something to my taste. I haven't even had time to listen to what I've downloaded.

I've also restricted myself to stuff offered in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. I try to avoid MP3 because I'm using Linux instead of Windows.

Its not that I can't use MP3s, its just that using FLAC, I can burn lossless CDs. My hearing is getting bad and I need a more pronounced midrange for it to sound right to me.

You might look through the list and see if there are any groups you recognize.

2/13/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

elijah:

speed metal is not nearly as vibrant as it used to be, but there are some bands out there. bad news is i can't think of a single modern group who is from the North American continent.

2/14/2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

warren:

to check out bands, i use purevolume (link on the side). a large majority post up MP3 downloads, but all of them have tracks up to listen to without downloading anything. the bad thing about this site is that you can only browse by name and signed and unsigned bands, not genre. this site is good if you know the band you want to look up. it mostly focuses on current/modern bands.

2/14/2006 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares